Celebrating 2016 & Looking Forward to 2017
January 6, 2017
Here’s a selection of the many achievements the Chamber & Visitors Center made in 2016!
- Hosted Eastman Worlds of Work, attended by nearly 2,000 students, 72 career presenters, and over 350 volunteers
- Served as presenter at Piedmont Advantage Plus, with 80 members of the senior class
- Conducted Job Shadowing Day with Students from Jacksonville and Piedmont School Systems
- Get Linked networking event was held at JSU
- Held Superintendent Roundtable with all 5 public school systems represented
- Spring LCC Leadership Lunch had 60 alumni and current class members
- Graduation for 31 YLCC class members was held at the Anniston Museum of Natural History.
- Graduation exercises were held for the 24 members of the LCC Class of 2016
- Leadership Calhoun County kicked off the class of 2017 with 25 class members.
- CEOs in the Classroom kicked off with Oxford City Schools.
- LCC hosted a Fall Leadership Connection on September 29, with guest speaker Colonel Martine S. Kidd, Commander of the Anniston Army Depot at the Hotel Finial.
- 2016 Legislative agendas were created for both State and Federal levels.
- Re-established Military &Securities Committee with tours of Pelham Range and Anniston Army Depot
- On March 17 Members of the Public Affairs committee rode the bus to Montgomery with the LCC
- Hosted Mayors Roundtables quarterly
- Sponsored July Business After Hours at the National Guard Readiness Center at McClellan
- Partnered with the Anniston Star on Political Forums in each municipality for August Elections
- Attended the Anniston Army Depot 75th Anniversary Celebration
- Hosted the presentation by the JSU Center for Economic Development on Economic Impact of Military with 40 in attendance
- Met with Congressman Rogers to deliver a briefing from the Military and Security Affairs Organizations.
- Newly Elected Officials reception was on November 15th with Business After Hours.
- Committee members met with Mark Colson, Senior VP for Governmental Affairs & Chief of Staff at the Business Council of Alabama.
- Awarded Accredited Alabama Chamber of Commerce distinction
- An Ambassador Facebook Group was developed.
- Continued Member Orientation with 75 members attending.
- Partnered with Chamber Members to present 36 of the monthly networking events: Business & Biscuits, Lunch & Leads, and Business After Hours.
- Introduced the Chamber Membership to the Office Depot (OfficeMax) National Chamber Affinity Program.
- Partnered with R.L. Moore Photography for new Affinity program with Google Maps
- Celebrated 54 Ribbon Cuttings and 3 Ground Breakings
- Established Every Member Counts Campaign with 315 calls made.
- Held a Chat with the Chamber on April 13 in Piedmont.
- Made more than 206 retention visits to members with upcoming renewals
- Began recognition of Longevity Members at monthly board meetings
- The Chamber’s Annual Member Appreciation Day was held on October 7
- The Chamber currently has 1086 members.
- There are 136 new members for 2016.
- 84% retention rate.
- 1400 visitor informational bags were distributed.
- Hotel / Motel Meeting heard from speakers Greg Seitz, speaking on JSU athletics and Greg Bagley, speaking on Choccolocco Park
- Participated with the Calhoun County Fair which was attended by approximately 5,000 over 5 days
- Attended Tourism Workshop conducted by State of Alabama Tourism Department
- New tourism website launched on May 31st, http://www.VisitCalhounCounty.com.
- Participated with Centennial Memorial Wall Park Committee for the unveiling of the State Law Enforcement Fallen Officer Wall
- Held Familiarization tours for front-line staff & Cleburne County Welcome Center Staff
- Prepared tourism materials for 61 baseball teams of the Dixie Youth State Tournament
- Hosted National Association of Railroad Passengers intern
- For Restaurant Week, 10 Restaurants registered
- Attended the Ribbon Cutting for Choccolocco Park on October 16
- Attended Freedom Riders Public Meeting to present statement of support
- Held Hotel/Motel Meeting at Choccolocco Park on November 15, with 11 in attendance.
- Held Ladiga Trail Meeting on November 16, with 12 in attendance.
- Attended the Cleburne I-20 Welcome Center Holiday Open House with 4 area hoteliers
- The Visit Calhoun County Facebook Page now has 1164 likes.
- com had more than 9,228 visitors, with 84% being new visitors
- The Visit Calhoun County blog has generated more than 4,861 page views.
- @VisitCalhounCo has 417 followers on Twitter.
- @VisitCalhounCo has 231 followers on Instagram
- The Chamber Facebook page has 3696 likes/Followers.
- com had more than 42,654 visitors, with 58,363 directory searches of our online membership directory.
- With 37 active job postings, we garnered 3,210 views.
- Our Calhounchamber.com event calendar received more than 499,991 searches.
- Our 47 Hot Deals received 2,848 views.
- The Chamber’s Twitter, @CalhounChamber, has 1,098 followers
- The Chamber’s Blog garnered 1,254 views.
- The Chamber’s E-Newsletter has a 27% open rate
- The Chamber’s App, Calhoun2Go, has 166 users.
- Non-Dues revenue increased by 34%
- The 2016 Economic Forum presented by the Center for Economic Development was held at Jacksonville State University Merrill Hall with 72 in attendance.
- Co-Sponsored with JSU, the SBDC and EMA, “Keeping Your Business Safe: A workshop on Business Continuity, Cybersecurity and Disaster Planning” on March 4
- January 27, more than 250 Chamber Members joined us for the 37th Annual Meeting.
- Kicked off a Facebook Group, HYPE (Harnessing Young Professional Energies), to share opportunities and events for YPs
- The 2016 Night of Laughter & Business Awards was a sell-out crowd with 560 in attendance
- On June 22nd, 20 Chamber members attended the Multigenerational Workforce SummitSponsored by AUSA (Association of the United States Army) & BAE Systems.
- Hosted Social Media Boot Camp with 25 in attendance
- Hosted a Business Diversity Round-table, with 10 in attendance
- The Chamber’s Salute to Industry Scavenger Hunt on September 9 had 11 teams participate.
- The Chamber’s Salute to Industry Golf Outing on September 15 had more than 120 golfers
- More than 1500 attended the 32nd Annual Business EXPO on October 18, with first Wine Pull and Meet Mentors events.
- 10 Small Businesses participated in the Chamber’s Shop Small Saturday
- Business Builder Series on Accounting for Small Business was held on November 11
- 9 members attended the first Spritz and Splash Holiday Paint Party on December 5.
- The Mini Christmas Tree Contest had 21 participants. The contest brought in a total of 865 canned goods.